tcsh problems on Personal IRIS...

Leslie Lait lait at cdc910b21.gsfc.nasa.gov
Fri Jul 20 07:13:26 AEST 1990

In article <9007180038.aa28638 at VMB.BRL.MIL> Claude.P.Cantin at NRC.CA writes:

>I have downloaded the tcsh binaries from the archive site, and installed
>it on a 4D/240S, 4D/260S, 4D/280S, and a Personal IRIS.

>   2. Loging in as a user, the same thing happens, AND I can't start
>      a wsh at all!!!  In other words, it's useless!!!!
>
>If I go back to the password file and change the login shell back to
>/bin/csh, everything is back to normal....

We had the same problem on our PI running 3.2:
 o  tcsh worked fine when invoked from an existing wsh window.
 o  No wsh windows could be created if tcsh was set as the default shell.
 o  Logins from a terminal (not the console) worked fine.

When we had problems, wsh was complaining (in the SYSLOG file) that it
could not find the command tcsh. (We had the binary in /usr/local/bin/)

The command
   ln -s /usr/local/bin/tcsh /bin/tcsh
seemed to solve the problem.  (/usr/local/bin/ is on a different
disk with a lot more free space, which is one reason why we did not
simply move the binary to /bin/ )

Hope this helps.

Leslie Robert Lait                 | If you put a billion monkeys in front of a
lait at cdc910b21.gsfc.nasa.gov       | billion typewriters typing at random, they
                                   | would reproduce the entire collected
My opinions are my own, not NASA's.| works of UseNet in about...five minutes.