Triangulating non-planar surfaces

RANDALL SCHRICKEL NCE x7661 randy at aplcomm.jhuapl.edu
Wed Jul 25 06:39:35 AEST 1990

Actually, I know how to do that. What I really need to know is how to create
interior points for a non-planar surface that will let me triangulate it into
lots of little polygons, so the generated surface will look smooth.  My
specific application is a filled spinning globe. Currently I only show the
outlines of continents; I would like to fill them in. I CAN triangulate the
x,y,z of the outlines, but that's not enough. I need to introduce lots of
interior points to the outlines so that small triangles will be produced.
This is like a finite element analysis problem, but the FEA stuff I've seen
is only good for planar polygons. Is there a method for generating interior
points to a curved surface? Or do I compute the interior points in 2-D and
then do the triangulation in 3-D? Pointers to references, ideas, or code
(of course) would be most appreciated.
	Randy Schrickel randy at aplcomm.jhuapl.edu
	Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
	Laurel, MD 20723
	"Life goes on, long after the thrill of living has gone."