Workspace modification hints needed.

Betsy Zeller betsy at vesuvius.esd.sgi.com
Tue Jul 17 11:39:15 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jul16.233308.16103 at cs.utk.edu> murthy at utkcs2.cs.utk.edu (Nagesh Murthy) writes:
>I have a directory  with gif giles and a gifview program in the same directory. I need to setup my workspace so that when I click over the gif image files they will be opened automatically (I mean displayed).
>
>Any hints or advice on how I can accomplish the above would be a big help.

I am assuming that what you are asking for is the ability to double click
the gif files, and have those files passed as data to the gifview program.
What you need to do is
	1. write an FTR rule that lets WorkSpace uniquely recognize what
	your gif files are. (You probably want to put your gif.ftr file
	in /usr/lib/filetype/local. You can look in Programming the
	IRIS WorkSpace, document # 007-2006-010, to see how to set up
	your FTR rule. Look in /usr/lib/filetype/system/sgisystem.ftr, at the
	rule for SGIImage, for an example.) When you have set up the rule
	so that WorkSpace can recognize a gif file, you can then
	include an OPEN rule which looks something like
		OPEN gifview $LEADER
	If gifview can handle more than one argument, you  could say
		OPEN gifview $LEADER $REST
	or even
		for i in $LEADER $REST; do gifview $i; done

	2. Once you have your new FTR rule, working as root, run the makefile
	in /usr/lib/filetype.

	3. Restart the WorkSpace, open your directory, and try double clicking
	your gif file.

Another mechanism you may not be aware of, which would work well in the
situation where your executable is in the directory with your data files,
is to select your data file, drag it over the gifview executable, and drop
it when you see the executable highlight blue.

>Thanks in advance.

Hope this helps.
Betsy Zeller
betsy at sgi.com