IRIS <--> MAC transparently?

Rodney Hoinkes rodney at dgp.toronto.edu
Sat Jul 21 02:53:36 AEST 1990

We currently have a lab of IRIS'  and are setting up a lab of
Macs, and this new lab means we need more storage devices, but
we don't just want them for the Macs, the IRIS' should be able
to access them as well.  We are looking at read/write/eraseable
optical drive(s), but SGI doesn't seem to have one right now
except for a Maxtor model which may get out sometime at the
end of the month but we have no pricing, whereas there are
lots out there for the Mac systems.

So, the problem I pose to anyone who can help is...

				HOW CAN IT BE DONE?  (& done transparently)

Currently, we just use an ethernet board in a mac and ftp
between the two.

We have checked out a product known as the GatorBox which
allows the macs to access the IRIS' drives but not the
other way around.

| rodney at dgp.toronto.edu 		  |