backgrnd proc to dump whole/partial screen to file

dave "who can do? ratmandu!" ratcliffe dave at ratmandu.sgi.com
Wed Jul 4 01:22:03 AEST 1990

In article <9007021722.aa01256 at VGR.BRL.MIL> pmorris at BBN.COM (phil morris) writes:
>Hi,
>
>I'm wondering if there is a way to write a background process that can
>monitor for some key seq (signal?) that would then take over the display
>and allow the user to rubberband an area of the screen to dump to a file
>as either a bit-map or a postscript file.  Anyone know how to do this
>or has already done it?

you'll have to write yer background process from another piece,
but the part about allowing the user to rubberband an area of the
screen *is* done in SNAPSHOT(6D).  source for this lives in
/usr/people/4Dgifts/iristools/imgtools/snapshot.c
refer to the section about 4Dgifts in the "Release and Installation
Notes" where it lists how to install IF you don't have a
/usr/people/4Dgifts user account/subtree loaded on yer system.
--
                                             daveus rattus

                                   yer friendly neighborhood ratman

                              KOYAANISQATSI

   ko.yan.nis.qatsi (from the Hopi Language)  n.  1. crazy life.  2. life
     in turmoil.  3. life out of balance.  4. life disintegrating.
     5. a state of life that calls for another way of living.