Console graphics startup with background jobs problem

doelz at urz.unibas.ch doelz at urz.unibas.ch
Sat Jul 28 05:03:19 AEST 1990

In article <HOLDER.90Jul27094125 at hobbes.chem.uh.edu>, holder at hobbes.chem.uh.edu (Michael Holder) writes:
> We have recently noticed a problem downloading the graphics subsystem
> while trying to log into the console with background jobs running.  We are
> currently running IRIX 3.3 OS.  This problem also seems to affect an
> Exabyte we have connected to out system.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this problem?

YES. It happens on a 120/GTX as well. I was able to fix it in 3.2. by a
slight kernel hack but the parameter I modified disappeared in 3.3. Therefore,
same mess as usual. No logins on the graphics while load > 2.0, and
current workaround is as follows:

Log in as root
(if needed, on the console using NOGRAPHICS)
find out the processes heavily crunching
send a blocproc with the command
# nohup dbx -p <pid> & >& /dev/null
restart the gl with
/etc/gl/restartgl
and log in as normal user
# login otto

.. not nice but a workaround fro trusted users.

- Reinhard