so, you want to use a shared library?

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Tue Jul 31 03:55:46 AEST 1990

>Will these (sysV style?) shared libraries be changing?  Are we poor
>customers stuck until/if IRIX becomes sysV R4 based?  What about then?

The S5R4 shared library mechanism is based on the SunOS one; the
problems you cite with the S5R3 shared library mechanism are part of the
reason Sun didn't go with something like that (and perhaps part of the
reason why AT&T went with the SunOS scheme for S5R4).

I would certainly *hope* the folks doing MIPS port(s?) of S5R4 don't
abandon those advantages; if they don't, S5R4 should make life more
pleasant.