gethostbyname and YP

russell at CCU1.AUKUNI.AC.NZ russell at CCU1.AUKUNI.AC.NZ
Thu Jul 26 13:14:03 AEST 1990

 > Is there a known bug (under 3.2) when using YP and calling
 > 'gethostbyname'?  We cannot get the function to return information
 > on any nodes outside of our slave server, even though they call
 > all be 'pinged' and so on.  Gethostbyname appears to be failing
 > on the bind operation.  Any clues?
 >
 > Rick Simonian
 > Harris Space Systems Corp.
 > rsimonian at nasamail.nasa.gov

This sounds like something that was discussed here a few weeks back. I happened
to save a copy of the answer:

>Both master and slave servers must have "-i" in ypserv.options and they must
>have a properly configured /usr/etc/resolv.conf that specifies the DNS
>server address(es) and domain name. Note that the YP database is checked
>before querying the name server.
>
>In IRIX 3.3, you can bypass YP for all hostname lookups with a
>"hostresorder" entry  line in /usr/etc/resolv.conf. See resolver(4)
>and Ch. 8 in the new Network Communications guide for details.

I am sorry that I did not save the signature, so I can't give credit where its
due.

Russell.
|  Russell Fulton		'phone +64 9 737-999 x 8955       |
|  Computer Centre		domain	rj_fulton at aukuni.ac.nz	  |
|  University of Auckland	fax     +64 9 303-2467		  |
|  Private Bag			time    gmt -12 (13) (summer time)|
|  Auckland, New Zealand.					  |