RASTER3D ray-tracer for molecular graphics

merritt at max.u.washington.edu merritt at max.u.washington.edu
Wed Jul 25 07:27:19 AEST 1990

A couple of weeks ago I mentioned that I had a version of the RASTER3D
package for ray-tracing molecular graphics which I have modified for
use under IRIX 3.2 on a 4D workstation.  In addition to the ray-tracing
program itself, there are a couple of utility routines to go from
Brookhaven databank *.pdb files to descriptions of ribbon diagrams,
space-filling models, ball-and-stick figures, etc.

Among the responses I got were replies from two other groups (University of
Alberta and University of British Columbia) who are also maintaining
various incarnations of this program.  After some scrambling to sort out
who has what, I have collected the following compressed tar files onto an
anonymous ftp site:

	xrayrs.bchem.washington.edu (128.208.112.3)       /pub

SOURCE:
	raster3d.tar.Z		my version of raster3d and setup programs
	preraster3d.tar.Z	my version of the UBC previewer and setup
				program (hastily modified for compatability
				with above raster3d version).

RELATED SOURCE:
	raster3d.ua.tar.Z	current University of Alberta version (which
				I have not looked at).  I'm providing an
				anonymous ftp site for this since the UA group
				doesn't have one.  Claims to support various
				other machines.
				source: Mark Israel (USERISRA at ualtamts.bitnet)
	preraster3d.ua.tar.Z	UBC previewer and setup program compatible with
				UA version of raster3d.
				source: Michael Murphy (USERMBCM at mtsg.ubc.ca)
					via UA

Please read README on the same directory.  It gives a brief history of the
program, and may point you to other people who have been involved in its
development. I am sure that all the authors of this code would appreciate
being acknowledged if you use it.

DISCLAIMERS:
	My version draws pretty pictures on my 4D/20, that's all I promise.

					Ethan A Merritt

					Dept of Biological Structure
					University of Washington SM-20
					Seattle WA 98195