Security and access issues

Len Zaifman LEONARDZ at VM.UOGUELPH.CA
Wed Jul 18 01:36:26 AEST 1990

      We have a problem whereby we want to restrict the use of certain
applications and program libraries to be linked at runtime to a set of
authorised users. It is not necessarily the case that all users of an applicati
on or library belong to the same group , so we cannot use group access methods.

      Basically, we want someone who is linking a library or running an applica
tion to be able to use it if they are authorised , and have a message telling
them they are not authorised otherwise.

      Accounting of who is accessing the application/library would also be
acceptable. That is , not restricting use, but being able to tell who used the
package and how often.

      We do not have our Irix 3.3 systems yet, but they are arriving soon, and
we would like to know how to implement a capability , like the one described
above. Has anyone out there tried to do this yet ?? Is it too much overhead
to make it worthwhile ?? Does it come automatically :-) with 3.3 ??

      Thanks for your time.                         Regards,
                                                    Len Zaifman

Len Zaifman
Information Technology Coordinator,College of Physical and Engineering Science
Department of Computing Services
University of Guelph
Guelph,Ontario.  N1G 2W1
(519)821-4120 xt 6566