RS6000 an GL programmer's perspective

Sergio Perrone/30000 sergio at sergio.uucp
Tue Jul 31 07:33:16 AEST 1990

In reference to comments concerning GL on the IBM RS/6000...

Problems with the speed of 'mapcolor' can be alleviated by using
'mapcolors' instead - you can load a complete 4096-entry colormap in the
time it takes to execute one mapcolor command.  This speeds things up
considerably.

The implementation of popup menus is different, because the RS/6000 is
an X-based system.  However, the functionality is all there.

Also, I've been using the rectread/rectwrite subroutines extensively
and, so far as I can see, everything works fine.

Floating point performance for the model 320 is rated at more than four
times that of a DECstation 3100, and integer (MIPS) performance is about
twice that of a DS3100.

Marc

--- Marc Andreessen, IBM AWD Austin, sergio at sergio.austin.ibm.com   ---
--- Words and ideas contained herein are independent of IBM policy. ---