Help Requested on Arenas

Chris Shaw cdshaw at cs.UAlberta.CA
Tue Jul 10 16:02:16 AEST 1990

In article X zyda at trouble.cs.nps.navy.mil (michael zyda) writes:
>     In order for the other processes to have access to that allocated
>shared memory, the other processes must somehow obtain a pointer
>to that allocated memory. How is this done safely, i.e. what
>system routine do I call in process 1 to find a pointer to
>the first byte allocated by usmalloc in process 2?

Perhaps you could try opening a socket connection such that process 1 sets
up a service and the other process(es) open a simple client connection to
process 1's service. Do some communication, figure who usmalloc'd what,
then close the connection and await a new one. This will serialize multiple
client starts into the common area. The rest of the communication could be
done via the shared memory.
Should work.

--
Chris Shaw     University of Alberta
cdshaw at cs.UAlberta.ca           Now with new, minty Internet flavour!