automount experience needed

Bent Hagemark bh at sgi.com
Fri Nov 30 06:54:35 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov27.151807.26782 at eagle.lerc.nasa.gov> tohanson at gonzo.lerc.nasa.gov (Jeff Hanson) writes:
>I administer 9 workstations with about 100 users.  Each user has an
>account on one machine and the other machines are nfs mounted.  I would
>like to use automount but I have not been able to figure out how.
>If anyone in a similar situation has experience with automount I would
>appreciate the help.
>
>Note: I am waiting for the hotline to call me back (1 day and holding)
>but the net provides another source of information.  N.B. This is NOT
>hotline bashing, I'm just looking for the most information.
>--

Here's one quick, easy, and useful way of configuring the automounter.
I use this here interally at SGI... with wonderful success I may add
(I have no NFS entries in my /etc/fstab, for example!).  This all,
by the way, is described somewhere deep in the automount man page.
(I know, it took me a while to glean out this simple tidbit).

	NOTE: This assumes you use YP for host name<->IP mapping.

	(on each client machine)

	# echo /net -hosts > /etc/config/automount.options
	# chkconfig automount on
	# /etc/reboot
		or
	# automount `cat /etc/config/automount.options`

YAY!  You're now all set.

On this machine you may now do ``cd /net/<hostname>/<exported-dir>''
(nothing magic about "cd" -- _any_ use of this pathname will do the trick)
and the automounter will automagically NFS mount all exported directories
is the local host automount still builds the symlink in /net/<hostname>.
This permits network-transparent absolute symbolic links.

Automount is great!  No mkdir'ing of mount points.  No
/etc/fstab entries to maintain on N machines.

enjoy!
Bent