Runaway named process

Scott R. Presnell srp at babar.mmwb.ucsf.edu
Fri Nov 16 06:57:56 AEST 1990

Hi folks.

	I've got a curious problem with the name service that I can't seem
to pin down. So I thought I'd ask to see if anyone else is having this
problem.

	We run named out of the box on IRIX 3.3.1, our resolver is set to
look to the /etc/hosts file first, then named. We upgraded to 3.3.1 about 6
weeks ago.

Over the last week, I've had several cases of the named process "running
away:" gaining inordinate amounts of CPU time (in the thousands of minutes
as opposed to the normal one or two minues), and essentially becomming
useless for resolving remote hosts (ps and top show it to be in the "run"
state constantly).  None of configuration files have changed recently.
After I kill and restart the named, there is no problem, at least for a
while.  This has been happening on two different machines now (4D/2[05]G).

	I don't know if this is connected but, I've also noted a lot of
resolution failures with MAXQUERIES exceeded recently:

Nov 11 15:50:10 babar named[98]: MAXQUERIES exceeded, possible data loop in
	resolving (2.246.70.192.in-addr.arpa)
Nov 11 15:50:16 babar named[98]: MAXQUERIES exceeded, possible data loop in
	resolving (130.185.65.192.in-addr.arpa)
Nov 12 20:43:19 babar named[98]: MAXQUERIES exceeded, possible data loop in
	resolving (ifi.ethz.ch)
Nov 14 23:32:03 babar named[98]: MAXQUERIES exceeded, possible data loop in
	resolving (15.3.7.129.in-addr.arpa)

	Anyone seen this sort of stuff?  Any clues?

	Is named in an infinite loop?

	Thanks for your help.

	- Scott Presnell

--
Scott Presnell				        +1 (415) 476-9890
Pharm. Chem., S-926				Internet: srp at cgl.ucsf.edu
University of California			UUCP: ...ucbvax!ucsfcgl!srp
San Francisco, CA. 94143-0446			Bitnet: srp at ucsfcgl.bitnet