Printer Woes

Tony Facca fsfacca at AVELON.LERC.NASA.GOV
Tue Nov 20 09:04:06 AEST 1990

>Ever since upgrading to 3.3.1, we've been having problems with
>printing from one of our workstations.  What makes this odd is that of
>the many things changed from 3.2 to 3.3, printing wasn't supposed to
>be one of them.
>
>I quickly found out that the scheduler wasn't running.  Any attempt to
>start it failed.  Doing an lpstat gave the error message:
>
>       lpstat: can't lock acceptance status

The directory /usr/spool/lp should have 2 status files (qstatus and pstatus)
in them.  Perhaps during the installation, they got clobbered.  To recreate
these files, just do:

	/usr/lib/lpshut
	/usr/lib/lpsched

restarting the scheduler recreates the required files.  Hope this was the
problem.