Once again: adding a PostScript printer to a PI

Peter S. Shenkin shenkin at cunixf.cc.columbia.edu
Fri Nov 30 11:14:42 AEST 1990

We have a site license for Transcript, so I didn't buy Laser Printer
support from SGI.  I obtained the patch kit from cb-iris.stanford.edu,
and have patched, made and installed the software.

Other instructions that appeared in this newsgroup said to use the System
Manager tool's Print Manager to add a new printer, then make a change
in /usr/spool/lp/interface/printer_name.  Well, the menu of known printer
types is short, and none of them is a PostScript printer, as far as I can
see.  (I'm trying to set up an Apple LaserWriter.)  Furthermore, I can't
figure out where the hell the /usr/lib/vadmin/printers program, which is
what I assume System Manager is running, is getting its list of printers.
The list doesn't seem to be either hard-wired into the program, or to appear
in a file called by the program; I tested for it using "strings".  The man
page for the System Manager tool says there should be a directory called
/usr/lib/vadmin/filetype, but this does not exist on my system, though
/usr/lib/vadmin exists, and there is something called /usr/lib/filetypes,
which has its own "vadmin" subdirectory.  The Iris System Adminstrator's Guide
is, as usual, uninformative.

All this is very confusing.  Help, anyone? I don't know how printers are
supposed to work under System V.  I guess I thought that since bsd->sysv
gives termcap->terminfo, I should be able to find some library of "printinfos"
somewhere on the iris.  A naive expectation, no doubt.

I'm running 3.2.1 on a 4d25tg.

	-P.
Peter S. Shenkin, Department of Chemistry, Barnard College, New York, NY  10027
(212)854-1418  shenkin at cunixf.cc.columbia.edu(Internet)  shenkin at cunixf(Bitnet)
***"In scenic New York... where the third world is only a subway ride away."***