Media error on Exabyte

John D. McCalpin mccalpin at perelandra.cms.udel.edu
Sun Nov 4 03:19:26 AEST 1990

>>>>> On 2 Nov 90 00:34:44 GMT, olson at anchor.esd.sgi.com (Dave Olson) said:

Dave> 1) your heads need cleaning.  Get the dry (not wet) cleaning kit and
Dave>    clean the heads.  This can make a big difference.

Are there any specific brands/types of head cleaner that I should look
for?  Any clues as to where I can find them?

Dave> 2) Get certified data tapes if 1) doesn't work.  In any case, we
Dave>    have been told by Exabyte tech people to avoid Maxell and TDK,
Dave>    (as of a year OK; the situation may have changed since then)
Dave>    and to NOT use MP (metal particle) tapes.  Sony tapes seem to
Dave>    work pretty well (which isn't surprising, since they make the
Dave>    Exabyte Data tapes).  A number of other brands seem to work OK
Dave>    also.

Where does one buy these tapes?  The only tapes I have *ever* seen are
*all* MP (metal particle) tapes --- with the exception of the one
Exabyte tape that came with the drive.  In particular, the Sony tapes
that I have seen advertised (Global computer supplies) are MP tapes....
John D. McCalpin			mccalpin at perelandra.cms.udel.edu
Assistant Professor			mccalpin at vax1.udel.edu
College of Marine Studies, U. Del.	J.MCCALPIN/OMNET