Exabyte media

MOHRINGJ%ESVAX at dupont.COM MOHRINGJ%ESVAX at dupont.COM
Thu Nov 15 05:39:00 AEST 1990

AS Peter Jaspers-Fayer in Message-ID:  <9011141008.aa15706 at VGR.BRL.MIL>
writes;

>We use Sony MP tapes exclusively. We have NEVER experienced any media problems.
So there ! :-)

	We also used (before I found data Cert.)  without any "unrecoverable"
errors.  Now I use the DATA Cert. for my backups but I still use the MP's for
backing up files and user accounts. (data Cert. are 3X's the cost.)  One thing
I have always done, which I haven't seen mentioned here is a "mt ret" before
I use ANY tape.  This command runs the tape to the end and rewinds it, putting
unifrom tension on the tape.  It takes a few minutes, but what I've seen
reported here, appears to be worth it.

Jim Mohring
DuPont Experimental Station
Node: mohringj%esvax%dupont.com
Phone 302-695-4325
FAX 302-695-1173
"Silence is the ONLY  acceptable substitute for Brains"