lost esc keys

MAHAFFY at psuvm.psu.edu MAHAFFY at psuvm.psu.edu
Tue Nov 6 01:03:47 AEST 1990

Somewhere at least part of the solution to this problem has been discovered.
I often connect to out Irix 3.2, 4D70 via the campus network terminal service.
My first action at login is to set the terminal type to VT100.  If I use my
favorite editor with no other actions, the arrow keys do not function.  If
I then use vi, I have no problems with the arrow keys.  What is more, for the
remainder of the login session, any time I use my favorite editor again, the
arrow keys function perfectly well.  Clearly their is something in the
startup of vi that recognizes and patches my particular difficulty.