Window Murder

karron at KARRON.MED.NYU.EDU karron at KARRON.MED.NYU.EDU
Thu Nov 22 14:03:04 AEST 1990

I am sorry if I was not clear (seems pretty easy for me these days).

>In article <9011200320.AA26948 at karron.med.nyu.edu> you write:
>>The solution should be that if you kill the last drawn window, in any order,
>>then the parent process should be killed, even if it does not have a window.

I think that parent is not the proper word to use. Primary might be better.
The process that created a window, and is connected to it for i/o. The window
is not a subprocess, but associated with the process. It is not a shell.
This is at the 'C' level, not the shell or ps level.

>Even if it is sh(1)?    Seems pretty dangerous and surprising.
>
>I'd be surprised if this was considered a good idea.....
>(disclaimer: I'm not involved directly in kernel stuff)

I was refering to windows created in a 'c' program via winopen("winname"),
and using a noport() call prior to creating the first window.
I was not refering to 4sight/news shell windows and the like.

In a multi window program, where all of the windows are run / associated
with a single process, I have noted this behavior of the kill icon.

If there is a single window associated with the process,then clicking on the
zap icon on the upper right hand corner of the window kills (sends a
SIGKILL signal) to the process controlling the window. The window is not
a separate process. If you have multiple windows, then the SIGKILL is not
sent unless you kill the first window created by the process, the wid of the
first winopen(); You can not kill the process by killing subwindows or secondary
windows. They process is not really a parent process, nothing is forked for
each new window after the initial winopen.

If there is NO primary window(not really parent window) because the main
program loop starts up with a noport() call, then you can not kill the
program, except from another shell window and doing an explicit kill or
killall.

I can send sample code of anyone really wants to see what I mean. A window
is worth a thousand words of description.

Cheers!

dan(jingled with jargon, jaded, and jinkxed)

| karron at nyu.edu (mail alias that will always find me)                        |
|                                         Dan Karron                          |
| . . . . . . . . . . . . . .             New York University Medical Center  |
| 560 First Avenue           \ \    Pager <1> (212) 397 9330                  |
| New York, New York 10016    \**\        <2> 10896   <3> <your-number-here>  |
| Please Note : Soon to move to dan at karron.med.nyu.edu 128.122.135.3  (Nov 1 )|