grcond failure (again)

martin martinm at sgi.com
Sat Nov 10 06:48:22 AEST 1990

In article <24409.9011080004 at nimsn41.nimr.mrc.ac.uk> n_brown at national-institute-for-medical-research.mrc.ac.uk (Nigel Brown) writes:
>Sorry -- it was a long day...
>
>I reported a problem with grcond yesterday, but cocked up the system
>description. It is a 4D/80 GTX, under Irix 3.2.0.
>
>Here's the problem again:
>> Anyone know what this SYSLOG entry means and how to fix grcond again?
>>
>> Nov  5 22:37:34 iris2 grcond[2534]: In limbo
>> Nov  5 22:37:50 iris2 grcond[2534]: Tried and failed 3 times to download graphics subsystem

if the machine is a GTX at 3.2 or 3.2.1 the following will be familiar to some:
(the following was a post when the problem first surfaced (last december?))

   In reference to the problem where a person:
         - is running 3.2 on an multiprocessor,
         - is running large jobs in the background,
         - can't log in to the console with graphics,
         - can log in NOGRAPHICS and rlogin,
         - and finds erros like "Tried and failed 3 times
           to download graphics microcode" in the SYSLOG.

   There is now a sure-fire temporary solution.  It
     involves reconfiguring the kernel so that the
     netork runs on processor 0 instead of processor 1.
     All you need to do is:
         - edit file /usr/sysgen/master.d/kernel,
         - change line that reads:
                int network_processor = 1;
                int network_processor = 0;
         - su to root and cd to /,
         - type lboot (this will build a new kernel
           called unix.new in the current directory),
         - mv unix unix.old,
         - mv unix.new unix,
         - sync, init 0, then restart the system.

another option is to upgrade to 3.2.2 or 3.2.3 or 3.3.1.
--
Martin McDonald			Prune Juice - A warrior's drink.
SGI				                         - Worf