Mixing ANSI and K & R 1 code.

Mike Goss goss at SNOW-WHITE.MERIT-TECH.COM
Mon Nov 19 06:00:00 AEST 1990

> Date: Sat, 17 Nov 90 10:57:39 EST
> From: karron%karron.med.nyu.edu at cunyvm.cuny.edu
> Subject: Re: Mixing ANSI and K & R 1 code.
>
> Sgi has make a weak attempt to address this "standard" problem. There is a
>  cc -float flag to stop default promotion to doubles in argument/parameter
> lists. Just seems not to work they way I hoped in spliced code...
>
> I am not finished testing this out, so if anyone has any more insight, I
> would like for you to speak up.

The "-float" option on cc has never affected default promotion to
double in function arguments.  It only affects intermediate results in
floating point calculations. The cc man page in IRIX 3.3.1 explicitly says
this ("This option does not affect float function arguments, which are
always promoted to double unless function prototypes are used."), but
earlier versions (3.2) did not.

Mike Goss
Merit Technology Inc.
(214)733-7018
goss at snow-white.merit-tech.com

	Disclaimer: This offer void except where prohibited by law.