Can't set time correctly...

Thomas Mitchell mitch at sgi.com
Wed Nov 21 12:52:57 AEST 1990

In article <90Oct30.144042est.18958 at me.utoronto.ca> eastick at me.utoronto.ca (Doug Eastick) writes:
>karron at MCIRPS2.MED.NYU.EDU writes:
>>I give it the correct time(via date or sysadm) and it keeps
>>reporting the time two hours ahead ? I must of done this
>>hundreds of times on dozens of machines, and somthing is wrong someplace
>>with this new machine.
>
>Check if timed is running.  Kill it on all your machines before
>resetting the clocks, then restart it.

Each time I see 'N hours ahead' I look at the environment
variable TZ.  It is most commonly not defining local time
correctly.

It is generaly set by the contents of "/etc/TIMEZONE"

   #ident	"@(#)sadmin:etc/TIMEZONE	1.2"
   #ident	"$Revision: 1.6 $"
   #	Set timezone environment to default for the machine
   TZ=PST8PDT

Looking at the above the systems time zone is set to West
Coast USA time.  Since Irix/Unix (tms) keep internal time to
GMT it is possible that the time is correct but looks wrong.

Users may also set their TZ to match their own notion of
correct.  If you login over wide areas to lots of machines
time can be confusing.

If timed is running you MUST have a valid 'msite' use
"timedc msite" to find it.
  Thomas P. Mitchell   --  mitch at sgi.com  or mitch%relay.csd at sgi.com
	"All things in moderation; including moderation."