grcond failure

doelz at urz.unibas.ch doelz at urz.unibas.ch
Thu Nov 8 03:59:38 AEST 1990

In article <14021.9011062201 at nimsn41.nimr.mrc.ac.uk>, n_brown at national-institute-for-medical-research.mrc.ac.uk (Nigel Brown) writes:
> system:  4D GTX, Irix 3.2
WHICH 4D ? WHICH 3.2 ?

> Anyone know what this SYSLOG entry means and how to fix grcond again?
>
> Nov  5 22:37:34 iris2 grcond[2534]: In limbo
> Nov  5 22:37:50 iris2 grcond[2534]: Tried and failed 3 times to download graphics subsystem

It happended to us on a two-processor machine. If this is the bug we
encountered, it is fixed in 3.2.2, and 3.3.1.

Occurs because the network is on the wrong processor. Try to get 3.3.1, and
it will work - at least, it does on our 120.

> This happened after our "Computing Dept". wandered in, synced and
> reset the iris, then trundled it away to demo something. They do
> things like that and now they expect me to fix it...

At least you know who is guilty :-)
Can you restore a backup made before that?

> No idea whether it's relevant, but /dev/gm says:
>
> DEBUG_NOISE at 0x98065E14
> Sat Aug 19 18:36:05 1989 user unknown revision(1.123CLOVER2IP4GT)
>
> each time grcond tries to start.

No, this is not relevant. This is an informal message.

Contact me for details if you can't get hold of the 3.3.1 release - there
is a hack to fix it.

Regards
Reinhard