'drive faulted' error message

Jeremy Higdon jeremy at perf2.asd.sgi.com
Wed Sep 26 14:33:55 AEST 1990

In article <9009241956.AA08505 at mcirps2.med.nyu.edu>, karron at MCIRPS2.MED.NYU.EDU writes:
> >In article <9009221751.AA01139 at mcirps2.med.nyu.edu>, karron at MCIRPS2.MED.NYU.EDU
>     writes:
> >>

> >> What does this error message mean on my console (not in syslog):
> >>
> >> command 82 try 1 ips0d1s7: bn=65873 IOPB
> >>  word1=821E unrecovered 'drive faulted'
> >>
> >> Is this a real problem ? Or is this noise ?
> >>

> Is data being corrupted, or is it being correctly read ?
> My real concern is that is the error such that the ecc (error
> correction code) in the drive is unable to correct the error.
>
> If the error is unrecovered, is it retried and correctly recovered later ?

This error is not a media error, thus ECC correction is not being done.
It indicates that the drive is in a 'faulted' state.  If the error is
unrecoverable, you will see "try 2", "try 3", etc., in place of "try 1"
above.

It could be that the cables are a little loose (there are three between
the controller and the drive), or the drive could just be tired.