SGI's migration to X

Kurt Akeley kurt at cashew.asd.sgi.com
Sat Sep 8 01:27:26 AEST 1990

In article <1990Sep6.175301.18898 at jarvis.csri.toronto.edu>,
drb at eecg.toronto.edu (David R. Blythe) writes:
|> In article <1990Sep6.010419.1573 at odin.corp.sgi.com> msc at sgi.com writes:
|> >
|> >Even if it's possible, we don't recommend doing it.  Trying to image into
|> >the same window using both X and the GL raises a bunch of nasty issues of
|> >which one of the nastiest is synchronizing the drawing.  Has the GL
finished
|> >drawing this polygon so I can have X draw this line?  Who's on first so to
|> >speak. Ugh!!
|> >

|> It would be really really really really nice if whatever X toolkit/UIMS/etc
|> gets fobbed off on me (i.e. Motif,OpenLook) also works with GL graphics.
|> That is to say, I want to learn *one* subroutine library for popups,
|> pulldowns, radio knobs, other crap that can be used in both a GL
window and an
|> X window.  This would seem like a good reason to have X requests and GL
|> requests work together, rather than making a GL version of the same library.

You'll be able to use the same X-based toolkit with both X and GL applications.
Remember, the popups, pulldowns, radio knobs, and other crap all are created as
subwindows, not as part of the current window.  What you won't be able to do
is to blend (or logicop, or z-buffer, or texture map) a popup, pulldown, radio
knob, or other crap INTO a GL scene.

-- kurt