mailbox

robertl at cwi.nl robertl at cwi.nl
Sun Sep 23 06:55:20 AEST 1990

	> mailbox: Bad file number

	> any ideas what's happening ??

We had that too. In our case 'fam' couldn't be launched by
'inetd' properly. Try executing '/usr/etc/fam' manually. It
will probably print some additional info as to what is going on
(in our case 'fam' couldn't open /dev/imon). You will probably be
ok if you can get 'fam' to work.

By the way : if you are using central mail services you should
consider doing something like :

	$ ln -s $HOME/.mail /usr/spool/mail/$LOGNAME
	$ mailbox -f $HOME/.mail

This is because every second or so 'fam' will do an 'ls -l'
of the directory in which your mail-file is in.
In our case we had +/- 15 users doing an ls -l in /usr/spool/mail
(which has +/- 250 entries) resulting in a substantial load on
the central mail server! Making a link to your mail-file from a
small directory results in a lot less network traffic.

Groetjes;

-- Robert van Liere

Robert van Liere, Department of Interactive Systems,
Center for Mathematics and Computer Science (CWI)
Kruislaan 413,  1098 SJ  Amsterdam,  The Netherlands
robertl at cwi.nl