SGI's migration to X

David R. Blythe drb at eecg.toronto.edu
Wed Sep 12 13:47:09 AEST 1990

In article <1990Sep7.190102.28444 at odin.corp.sgi.com> msc at sgi.com writes:
>0747 at baroque.Stanford.EDU> <1990Sep6.010419.1573 at odin.corp.sgi.com> <1990Sep6.175301.18898 at jarvis.csri.toronto.edu>
>
>Apparently you didn't read the last paragraph of my message where I pointed
>out that you will be able to to mix GL and X subwindows within a single
>top-level window.  This is all the support you need to use any of the X
>toolkits.

Okay I misunderstood, despite your great pains.  Rather than ask
for more details, I just stated the problem I wanted solved.

>It can be done but remember we are talking about a fast path to the
>graphics hardware which is a very different thing than the X server.

I think this is a little contentious, the X protocol design shouldn't
preclude doing fast graphics or having a fast path to the graphics hardware.
I hope the goal and end result of the X protocol isn't low bandwidth graphics
but rather just a temporary implementation difficulty.  I'll certainly agree
trying to retrofit X into GL is a pain, but the fewer hitches there
are to using the combined interface (from performance, ease of use, and
generality points of view) the better off we will all be.

	-drb