David R. Blythe drb at eecg.toronto.edu
Fri Sep 7 07:27:26 AEST 1990

In article <67625 at lll-winken.LLNL.GOV> eeckman at mozart.llnl.gov (Frank Eeckman) writes:
>Does anybody know if there is an NCSA imagetool program for the SGI ?
>If so where can I get it, if not is there some analogous software
>available ?
>Thanks
>FHE
>eeckman at mozart.llnl.gov

The NCSA tools for X windows kind of work under 3.2 (for 10 or 15 minutes
at a time) and probably work okay under 3.3 (don't have 3.3 yet).  They also
have a program for the iris for displaying 2 dimensional bivariate data as
height-colour images.  This stuff is ftp'able from zaphod.ncsa.uiuc.edu

You can get an AVS-like program called apE from the Ohio Supercomputer
centre for approx $75.  Send mail to michelle at osgp.osc.edu for more
details.

SGI ships a stripped down version of VoxelView from Vital Images with
the higher-end machines (i.e. everythign but PI's) which is useful
for volume data.  They also ship a stripped down version of some
of wavefront's software called the personal visualizer.

>From arizona theres a program called IRISPLOT which can plot surfaces
and what not and let you manipulate it interactively.  ftp from
connemara.math.arizona.edu

There are various public domain ray-tracing packages available
(rayshade and dkb are worth looking at) ftp from cs.uoregon.edu
BRL has a comprehensive package, BRL-CAD.  you can get more information
about it from vgr.brl.mil.  Others have mentioned raytracers customized
for molecular modelling etc, but I haven't seen any ftp addresses yet.

There's other stuff available, but this should keep you busy for
a while.

	david blythe
	ontario centre for large scale computation
	drb at clsc.utoronto.ca