Help with 1/2 inch Magnetic Tapes

Loren Buck Buchanan buck at drax.gsfc.nasa.gov
Wed Sep 26 08:09:36 AEST 1990

Hi SGI Fans,

Well, we got our 9-track drive, it is a Pertec FS2001-2.  I modified
/dev/MAKEDEV by changing "KENNEDY*96X2" to "PERTEC*FS2001-2" to create
the various device files.  We can write and read back tapes, but we
are unable to read tapes created on a foriegn machine (dd and our own
custom software), by getting the cryptic anything error message

   "I/O error"

The tapes we write can be read on a Sun with a Cipher tape drive (via
dd or tar).

The foriegn tapes have variable length records up to 3970 bytes, I
would like to be able to read them directly with my own custome software,
but a solution using dd would be appreciated.

The hardware specifics are:
  SGI PI 4D/20 (low serial number, but more recent electronics module)
  Pertec FS2001-2 (has a Pertec to SCSI board).

A quick side question, is how do I write variable length records on a
9-track tape?

Thanks & B Cing U

Buck
Loren Buchanan     | buck at drax.gsfc.nasa.gov   | #include <std_disclaimer.h>
CSC, 1100 West St. | ...!ames!dftsrv!drax!buck | typedef int by
Laurel, MD 20707   | (301) 497-2531            | void where_prohibited(by law){}
CD International lists over 40,000 pop music CDs, collect the whole set.