vhand

Amy Swanson amys at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Fri Sep 21 01:36:28 AEST 1990

Does anyone know what the "vhand" process does?  It always runs from PID 2,
but I can't find any information on it in the manuals.  The reason I'm
asking is that we've recently had the vhand process get out of hand and "take
over the system."  It was chewing up lots of CPU time and made it impossible
to log into the system other the network.  We sent the process a "kill -1"
which seemed to fix it, but I'd like to know why this happened.

Thanks in advance,
Amy

Amy Swanson
SGI Systems Administrator
NCSA - National Center for Supercomputing Applications
University of Illinois @ Urbana-Champaign
amys at ncsa.uiuc.edu