more sgi tcsh notes/comments/complaints

karron at MCIRPS2.MED.NYU.EDU karron at MCIRPS2.MED.NYU.EDU
Thu Sep 27 03:18:06 AEST 1990

Thanks for your response to my questions/problems with tcsh.

Here are some issues you may have some insight on with tcsh:

Symbolic Link directories display only with trailing /. I forget
that many of my local directories are really synbolic links to distant
directories. How can I get symbolic lines to directories to be
displayed somthing like this: LocalDir@/ from the internal ls command.

Is there a way to automatically hack up the man pages to extract the
command name and valid argument list to make HPATH synopsis ? Has
anyone done it ? What about a stub that will give you the full man
page if the help file can not be found on HPATH in an editor of your
choice (using the EDITOR var) where you can mung on the man page in question
to create help directories on the fly ? A test for a shell script to
do this if the help page is not found would be appropriate.

Help setting TERM variable from clues from machine. My problem is is
use the hardwired ports on back of the machine. While it is true that
I am on a workstation, my TERM is NOT the workstation. It is some junk
terminal plugged in back. I have a system I use to set the TERM and
LPDEST for each remote destination I log in on. It is very very slow,
and should be part of the shell. I keep track of the tty or net address I
log in on, and a database learns all the data it need from each new place
I log in on. It tries to make the best guesses it can if I don't help.

Any hope in expanding names like foo?bar.xxx interactively ?
At present, you can only expand names in the forward direction, foo? .

How do you expand a list of files excluding a pattern, eg., all
files not (.c .o .u Makefile) ?

I already told you about the problems with cd'ing into symbolic links.
The prompt line pwd does not correctly reflect the cwd in the symbolic leap.

I already told you about the random command line corruption that requires
me to log out and log back in to recover.

I am posting this to the net in the event that others have comments or
ideas.

dan.
.

| karron at nyu.edu                          Dan Karron                          |
| . . . . . . . . . . . . . .             New York University Medical Center  |
| 560 First Avenue           \ \    Pager <1> (212) 397 9330                  |
| New York, New York 10016    \**\        <2> 10896   <3> <your-number-here>  |