NCAR Graphics 3.0

Kevin Marinelli marinell at Iris1.UCIS.Dal.Ca
Sun Sep 9 13:21:25 AEST 1990

In article <3877 at umbc3.UMBC.EDU> bernie at umbc5.umbc.edu.UUCP (Bernard J. Duffy) writes:
>In article <90249.232702RIE at psuvm.psu.edu> RIE at psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>>We wish to run NCAR Graphics version 3.0 on a Personal Iris. If you

	I do not have experience with NCAR V3.0, just versions 1 and 2. I have
had experience installing older version of NCAR on numerous systems for
about 8 years. These older versions were FORTRAN based not C based, so I have
no real experience at all installing version 3.0, but I may be able to help a
little anyway.

>     I've gone through several installation attempts with the NCAR 3.0
>on the SGI platforms.  First thing to know is that that software version
>was built on an IRIX 3.1 system.  I was and still am running IRIX 3.2
>on a SGI 4D/25 and SGI 4D/210 (headless).
>     I didn't have any problems with the make if it didn't include the
>Athena utilities other than the make process was performed via a NFS
>src tree.  That bombed out due to an NFS bug on Ultrix 3.? (highest
>prior to 4.0) where it would sometimes it wouldn't complete an operation.
>The make sequence stopped where there was a break in the connection due
>to an NFS I/O error.
>     All you had to do is follow the directions which were documented in
>the manual(s), in one of the README files, and with the "Configure -v"
>(the first command) where you setup the "config" file.
>     I haven't sucessfully built the NCAR GKS with the Athena utilities
>because of :
>   1)  some problem with the  include  files :
>Making athena
>        cc -DSYSV    -O  -I../../../include -c athena.c
>cpp: error /usr/include/bsd/sys/ioctl.h:9: Can't find include file net/soioctl.h
>cpp: error /usr/include/bsd/sys/ioctl.h:10: Can't find include file sys/ttychars
>.h
>*** Error code 1
>
>Stop.
>        *** this made me try a build with -I/usr/include/bsd  in the CFLAGS
>            makefile variable in  config/SGI4D .  I got a little farther, but
>            that wasn't the solution :
>Making idt
>        cc -DSYSV  -I/usr/include/bsd  -O  -I../../include -c intermed.c
>ccom: Error: intermed.c, line 36: redeclaration of sprintf
>      extern    char    *sprintf();
>      ----------------------------^
>*** Error code 1
>
>Stop.

	Remove all defines for sprintf in the code by commenting them out.
They are already pre-defined for you in IRIX.  I have run into this problem
before when I was installing the Utah Raster Toolkit and other software.  In
general, when you get a re-declaration error for a "standard" UNIX function
you should comment out the offending definition.

You are mostly correct in your modifications to the compile line.
 (someone please correct me if I am wrong but...)

     cc -DSYSV -I/usr/include/bsd -O -I../../include -c intermed.c -lbsd

Should be a more general compilation statement when using BSD functions.
The -lbsd tells the linker to link with the bsd libraries.  It is not
necessary when you compile with the -c option, which tells the compiler
not to invoke the linker.
	In general, when compiling with the
-I/usr/include/bsd option, including the -lbsd option at the end of the
compilation statement is a good idea that is harmless when it is not needed
but is VITAL when it is needed.

>      I still have a call into the NCAR folks on how to build this under 3.2
>and I'm also curious how they might have handled 3.3 (which I still don't
>have).
>
>          So, follow the directions for  regular and X11  NCAR GKS 3.0
>              for IRIX 3.[12].*
>
>fyi, Bernie
>
>Bernie Duffy   Systems Programmer II | Bitnet    :  BERNIE at UMBC2
>Academic Computing - L005e           | Internet  :  BERNIE at UMBC2.UMBC.EDU
>Univ. of Maryland Baltimore County   | UUCP      :  ...!uunet!umbc3!bernie
>Baltimore, MD  21228   (U.S.A.)      | W: (301) 455-3231  H: (301) 744-2954

Good Luck,

Kevin Marinelli

Dalhousie University
Halifax, N.S.