Mouse cleaning

Robert Viduya robert at shangri-la.gatech.edu
Mon Sep 17 07:34:11 AEST 1990

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the best way to clean mice feet
is?  Our visualization lab has been in operation over a year now and over
the months, those felt pads under the mice have accumulated a lot of gunk;
real sticky gunk that makes the mouse pad stick to the mouse.  One of our
users evidently got real frustrated and ripped the felt pads off.  That
fixed the problem for a bit but the mouse eventually scratched the mouse
pad up so bad that the whole thing is now useless.

I've tried a couple of chemical cleaners with no luck.  I'm somewhat cautious
trying them because I don't want the glue holding the felt pads to weaken.
I've also heard a rumor that the felt pads can be replaced with white plastic
(mylar?) pads that ride a lot more smoothly.  Has anyone tried this?  Will
they scratch up the mouse pad too and, if not, where do we get them?

			robert
Robert Viduya					   robert at shangri-la.gatech.edu
Technical Services / Office of Information Technology
Georgia Institute of Technology					 (404) 894-6296
Atlanta, Georgia	30332-0275