Swap Partitions (again)

Alain St-Denis aspgasd at cid.aes.doe.ca
Fri Sep 21 23:23:12 AEST 1990

Ok. Here's the scenario:

I want to have one swap partition on a different drive than my drive 0.  So
I change SWAPDEV in /usr/sysgen/system, I adjust /dev/swap AND /dev/rswap
accordingly and I rebuild the kernel.  Then I reboot my machine and the
swap is still on xyl0d0s1.  I want it on xyl0d1d1.  What am I doing wrong?
We're running a few 4D/240S.  By the way, just for the hell of it, I tried
the same procedure on a 4D/20 and it worked (for a different partition on
the same disk).

Also, I thought that it would have been nice to have a miniroot that would
start from a partition of our choice. So I poked around in /usr/sysgen and
found these lines in the kernel config file:

/* Setup the miniroot variable for kernel miniroot configuration */
#ifdef MINIROOT
u_char miniroot = 1;
#else
u_char miniroot = 0;
#endif

So I naively defined MINIROOT (in CCOPTS) in the system config file and
tried the kernel I built from it (with ROOTDEV & all changed).  But, guess
what, it didn't work.  The thing starts but complains about not finding
devnm (yes, I know what devnm does) or something.  I even poked the
unix.IP6 file in mr to replace rootdev & all with the values I wanted and I
got the same complaints.  So, obviously, there's more to it that just
changing the major/minor device numbers and rebuilding the kernel.

Could someone explain to me what I'm missing here?  It would be very much
appreciated.  I may be stubborn and childish about the whole thing but I
REALLY want the swap where I want it!  :-)

--
Alain St-Denis
Centre informatique de Dorval