Binary Programs on Info-Iris

steve lamont spl at taurus.cs.nps.navy.mil
Tue Sep 25 15:08:29 AEST 1990

In article <1990Sep24.190428.28475 at odin.corp.sgi.com> msc at sgi.com writes:
>Which would you rather have, nothing or binaries?  In some cases a binary
>is the only way we could distribute something because of, for example,
>use of a library that is not widely available or whose source is proprietary.

First of all, I should say that Mr. Haeberli (sp?) has my deepest respect as a
practitioner of our art and science and his contributions are appreciated.

However, since you asked... "nothing" would be preferable.  Binaries are too
dangerous.  Somebody along the line could easily tamper with them or, indeed,
forge a posting, and cause damage to a great number of systems.

							spl (the p stands for
							please, the sources???)
--
Steve Lamont -- SciViGuy -- Phone number of the week: (408) 646-2572
Confuser Center / Code 51 / Naval Postgraduate School / Monterey, CA 93943