Sources for 3rd-party SGI disk drives?

Christopher Gunn 1k1mgm at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu
Fri Sep 7 02:32:15 AEST 1990

I've been carefully archiving posts on sources for 3rd-party SGI-
compatible memory, but have not been as alert about reports on sources
for SGI-compatible disks.

Can anybody out there recommend reliable and/or cheap vendors for
such drives?  Our immediate needs are for 5.25" 760Mb-1.2Gb SCSI
add-on external drives with housing/power and cabling, but if a
certain grant comes through we might be looking at faster SMD- or ISI-
type drives.  I'll try to summarize responses back to the net in
form similar to memory summarys that crop up frequently.

I've been slapping raw drives in VAXes (and PDP-11s in the dark ages)
for a good long time now, but I are Unix-illiterate and would really
be grateful for either a true plug&play solution or drives that come
with instructions suitable for an ape.

Since SG's disk prices (with academic discounts) are only about 1.5
times the market, we'll probably wind up buying our IRIS boxes with
a built-in SGI system disk.  But I'd really rather not pay extra for
drives 2,...,N.

Our immediate need for this information stems from the fact that we
may need to encumber funds and start a bid process for drives 2 to 4
months before the money shows up for the IRISes.  But I have access
to some running 4D/25s that I could use to test and torture external
SCSI drives in the interim.

Christopher Gunn	Molecular Graphics and Modeling Lab
SPAN--KUPHSX::GUNN	Department of Medicinal Chemistry, Malott Hall
913-864-4428 or -4495	University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS  66045