.4sight and X

Mark Callow msc at ramoth.esd.sgi.com
Wed Sep 5 07:21:26 AEST 1990

In article <9008301644.aa04610 at VGR.BRL.MIL>, SOFPJF at VM.UOGUELPH.CA (Peter
Jaspers-Fayer) writes:
|> I'm running 3.3 on my PI, and for some reason, for users having files
|> ~/.4sight, user.ps and startup.ps, X applications & demos would not
|> start.  They WILL start from an xterm window.  They also start OK if
|> the standard windows are used.

In release 3.3 the mechanism for autostarting the X server had to be changed.
The reasons escape me right now.  The new mechanism involves the config
option xSGINeWS and the xstart program that you discovered.  The array
basicRestartActions in the file /usr/NeWS/lib/NeWS/init.ps contains a call
to a PostScript function called startXsgi which starts Xsgi via the xstart
command.  The user.ps file in the accounts where autostarting fails must
be redefining basicRestartActions so that they don't include calling startXsgi.
--
>From the TARDIS of Mark Callow
msc at ramoth.sgi.com, ...{ames,decwrl}!sgi!msc
"There is much virtue in a window.  It is to a human being as a frame is to
a painting, as a proscenium to a play.  It strongly defines its content."