SGI's migration to X

Jeremy Webber jeremy at cs.ua.oz.au
Wed Sep 5 17:54:54 AEST 1990

In article <SLEHAR.90Sep4105933 at cochlea.bu.edu> slehar at cochlea.bu.edu (Steve Lehar) writes:

  [lots of disparaging things about X]

It seems to me that you are using the raw X library when perhaps it would be
more appropriate to use the X Intrinsics library, and the Athena Widgets
toolkit.  What you are doing looks like the equivalent of writing all your SGI
applications in raw Postscript, rather than using the GL.

To the point made in the original article, I would be surprised if Silicon
Graphics moved to X without porting the Graphics Library to run under a pure X
server.  I certainly see no reason why this couldn't be done.

		-jeremy
Jeremy Webber			   ACSnet: jeremy at chook.ua.oz
Digital Arts Film and Television,  Internet: jeremy at chook.ua.oz.au
60 Hutt St, Adelaide 5001,	   Voicenet: +61 8 223 2430
Australia			   Papernet: +61 8 272 2774 (FAX)