Tar works, dd doesn't, Why?

Loren Buck Buchanan buck at drax.gsfc.nasa.gov
Fri Sep 28 05:13:05 AEST 1990

We can write and read back tapes only via tar.  Dd, magtapetools
(from comp.sources.unix) and my own custom software is unable write
or read.  The only error message I can get is:

   "I/O error"

Other tape operations such as moving forwards and backwords of files
and records seems to work fine, as does rewind and status (either via
mt or my custom software).  Cpio seemed to write a file out with no
problems, but I am unable to read it back.

What does tar do differently than dd, et. al. that allows it to work?

The software/hardware specifics are:
  IRIX 3.2
  SGI PI 4D/20 (low serial number, but more recent electronics module)
  Pertec FS2001-2 (has a Pertec to SCSI board).

Thanks & B Cing U

Buck
Loren Buchanan     | buck at drax.gsfc.nasa.gov   | #include <std_disclaimer.h>
CSC, 1100 West St. | ...!ames!dftsrv!drax!buck | typedef int by
Laurel, MD 20707   | (301) 497-2531            | void where_prohibited(by law){}
CD International lists over 40,000 pop music CDs, collect the whole set.