Dial Boxes

karron at MCIRPS2.MED.NYU.EDU karron at MCIRPS2.MED.NYU.EDU
Tue Sep 25 17:43:54 AEST 1990

I don't like sgi dial and button box stuff either.

I liked the evans and
sutherland gizmo box that allowed you to write annotations into leds
over each dial.

My way around that was to use a picture of the box
showing annotations and dial positions. Then I got the notion
of a software box from the Nasa Panel lib. I have been asked to
get together a software dial/button box that will work with the real thing.

If the software can determine if the dial/button box is attached, take
its input from that. If not, allow the user to mouse the controls and
not worry if the things is there of not. My feeling is that a software
entity may be better at the cost of more graphics overhead. But I was
drawing the dial and button box anyway to annotate it.

I have heard tales of a super dial/button box gizmo from sgi. I have not
seen it in the mail order catalog they just released.

| karron at nyu.edu                          Dan Karron                          |
| . . . . . . . . . . . . . .             New York University Medical Center  |
| 560 First Avenue           \ \    Pager <1> (212) 397 9330                  |
| New York, New York 10016    \**\        <2> 10896   <3> <your-number-here>  |