Binary Programs on Info-Iris

arritt at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu arritt at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu
Wed Sep 26 01:05:46 AEST 1990

In article <6451 at castle.ed.ac.uk>, matthew at castle.ed.ac.uk (M White) writes:

> I have two points :
>
> 1) Binaries should not be posted to the net: I have been slated by
> workmates, quite rightly, for attempting to run Pauls program on our
> machine.  The net is not secure and running binaries straight off it
> (even if the appear to come from sgi) is not a good idea.

Personally, I PREFER binaries to source code; sources don't always
compile cleanly on my system.  Those who don't like binaries aren't
being forced to download them and uudecode them.  Those of us willing
to do so presumably are aware of the risks involved.  Caveat emptor.

> 2) SGI personnel, of all people, should provide at least SOME
> instructions with code. If you have not seen a uuencoded file before, it
> is not obvious what should be done with it. It should not be necessary
> for net-time to be spent with queries such as Lance's above.

Hear, hear!  At a minimum, include a brief description of what the file
does and any requirements as to operating system, hardware configuration, etc.
Perhaps a warning to the uninitiated re point (1) above would be appropriate
(as a legal defense for the poster, if nothing else).
Raymond W. Arritt                     |
Assistant Professor                   |
Dept. of Physics and Astronomy        |  "everyone knew that as time went
Univ. of Kansas                       |   by we'd get a little bit older
Lawrence, KS  66045                   |   and a little bit slower..."
arritt at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu             |
arritt at ukanvax.bitnet                 |