tar not working as advertised

Rajeev Jayavant jayavant at hpfcdj.HP.COM
Fri Sep 21 05:16:34 AEST 1990

/ hpfcdj:comp.sys.sgi / HCART at VAX.OXFORD.AC.UK /  8:36 am  Sep 19, 1990 /

[text deleted]
    The find(1) instruction on its own is OK, as

  find / -local ! -type d -mtime -7 -type f -print > backuplist

works.  But then

  cat backuplist | tar ca-

still doesn't work, even though backuplist has hundreds of entries.

    What am I doing wrong?  All advice appreciated...

    Hugh Cartwright.  Physical Chemistry,  Oxford.
According to the man page, there should be a space between the ca and
the -, i.e.:  cat backuplist | tar ca -

The IRIX version of tar is the only one I've used that reads filenames
from standard input.  Certainly seems to make more sense than the
standard "tar ca `cat backuplist`" when backuplist contains a very
large number of files.
							Rajeev