time() vs gettimeofday()

Dave Olson olson at anchor.esd.sgi.com
Sat Sep 8 18:58:49 AEST 1990

In <9009080837.AA06570 at mcirps2.med.nyu.edu> karron at MCIRPS2.MED.NYU.EDU writes:

| Which is the better time call to use if you only are interested
| in measuring clock seconds ? (not system time, cpu time, but
| real time as measured by a stop watch ).

gettimeofday() will get you down to the system clock resolution,
which is 10 ms by default, but which can be changed to ~1 ms (exact
value depends on the model) by kernel configuration or the ftimer
command.  time() will only give you 1 second resolution.

| How do you know if the Performance Measurement Utilities are installed ?
| I don't remember seeing them on my 3.3 inst tape. Where are they ?

Install eoe2.sw.perf (the ftimer command mentioned above is in
eoe2.sw.usrenv).
--

	Dave Olson