NCAR Graphics 3.0

Bernard J. Duffy bernie at umbc5.umbc.edu
Sat Sep 8 01:44:14 AEST 1990

In article <90249.232702RIE at psuvm.psu.edu> RIE at psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>We wish to run NCAR Graphics version 3.0 on a Personal Iris. If you
>have experience in compiling NCAR Graphics on an Iris, please let
>me know the necessary modifications to be made -especially the
>makefiles. Any suggestions/help will be highly appreciated.
>                                       Subhransu Roy
>                                       Penn State University
>                                       Email: s3r at ecl.psu.edu

     I've gone through several installation attempts with the NCAR 3.0
on the SGI platforms.  First thing to know is that that software version
was built on an IRIX 3.1 system.  I was and still am running IRIX 3.2
on a SGI 4D/25 and SGI 4D/210 (headless).
     I didn't have any problems with the make if it didn't include the
Athena utilities other than the make process was performed via a NFS
src tree.  That bombed out due to an NFS bug on Ultrix 3.? (highest
prior to 4.0) where it would sometimes it wouldn't complete an operation.
The make sequence stopped where there was a break in the connection due
to an NFS I/O error.
     All you had to do is follow the directions which were documented in
the manual(s), in one of the README files, and with the "Configure -v"
(the first command) where you setup the "config" file.
     I haven't sucessfully built the NCAR GKS with the Athena utilities
because of :
   1)  some problem with the  include  files :
Making athena
        cc -DSYSV    -O  -I../../../include -c athena.c
cpp: error /usr/include/bsd/sys/ioctl.h:9: Can't find include file net/soioctl.h
cpp: error /usr/include/bsd/sys/ioctl.h:10: Can't find include file sys/ttychars
.h
*** Error code 1

Stop.
        *** this made me try a build with -I/usr/include/bsd  in the CFLAGS
            makefile variable in  config/SGI4D .  I got a little farther, but
            that wasn't the solution :
Making idt
        cc -DSYSV  -I/usr/include/bsd  -O  -I../../include -c intermed.c
ccom: Error: intermed.c, line 36: redeclaration of sprintf
      extern    char    *sprintf();
      ----------------------------^
*** Error code 1

Stop.

      I still have a call into the NCAR folks on how to build this under 3.2
and I'm also curious how they might have handled 3.3 (which I still don't
have).

          So, follow the directions for  regular and X11  NCAR GKS 3.0
              for IRIX 3.[12].*

fyi, Bernie

Bernie Duffy   Systems Programmer II | Bitnet    :  BERNIE at UMBC2
Academic Computing - L005e           | Internet  :  BERNIE at UMBC2.UMBC.EDU
Univ. of Maryland Baltimore County   | UUCP      :  ...!uunet!umbc3!bernie
Baltimore, MD  21228   (U.S.A.)      | W: (301) 455-3231  H: (301) 744-2954