3.3 fortran problem

arritt at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu arritt at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu
Tue Sep 18 04:48:43 AEST 1990

Has anyone been having problems compiling Fortran code under 3.3?  I just
installed 3.3 and tried to compile one of the models I've been using, and
got the following error message:

	f77 -static -Olimit 1400 -O1  -c hill2dc.f

ugen: internal: error in write, writing 6528 bytes instead of 8192 bytes
*** Error code 1

Stop.

What does this mean?  I've never seen anything like it before.

The code worked fine under 3.2 and is totally unmodified since before the
3.3 installation (I can show an ls -lrt to prove it ...)  Several
other pieces of code of comparable length and complexity compile properly
under 3.3, so it's apparently not that the code is too big.  I might add
that the error occurs with both -O1 and -O2 for whatever it's worth
(haven't tried with no optimization; that isn't viable because the jobs
take 20-30 cpu hours even under -O2).

Thanks for whatever help you can provide.  (I've had no luck with the
so-called "hotline".)
Raymond W. Arritt                     |
Assistant Professor                   |
Dept. of Physics and Astronomy        |  "everyone knew that as time went
Univ. of Kansas                       |   by we'd get a little bit older
Lawrence, KS  66045                   |   and a little bit slower..."
arritt at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu             |
arritt at ukanvax.bitnet                 |