Emergency shutdown and NFS

Peter Jaspers-Fayer SOFPJF at VM.UOGUELPH.CA
Tue Sep 25 03:09:54 AEST 1990

We too have encountered this and other problems with shutting down the
system.  There have been times when I've tried one after the other:

shutdown
/etc/halt
init 0

and they all fail.  It's really maddening to have `init 0` just come back
to the prompt and not do anything (yeah, I know it comes back to the
prompt anyway, but then it shuts down in 5-15 secs.  Mine didn't).
I'm not exactly sure how I get into such a state, but I've seen it on
both my PI and our 380.

We need a fail-safe "slam my file-system down, and give me the monitor"
command.  In my mind this is what `init 0` should do.  If I want to
gracefully terminate all my NFS, & etc daemons, then I'll use shutdown.
But if I want down NOW, I should have a way of doing it, fail-safe, and
without trashing the disks.  I even tried sync;sync;sync<cr><power-off>
but the filesystems still came up dirty.

/PJ                                                SofPJF at VM.UoGuelph.Ca
(Probably also reachable (until ?) at             SOFPJF at UOGUELPH.BITNET)