GNU interface to NeWS (ps-emacs) problem...

Senol Kucuk senol at zaphod.ee.pitt.edu
Fri Sep 7 15:18:33 AEST 1990

[machine: IRIS4D]
[system: IRIX System V Release 3.2 IPG Version ...]
[problem: GNU Emacs NeWS interface (ps-emacs)]

 Hi. I have a request from those who have (if any) installed the
ps-emacs (tut.cis.ohio-state:/pub/gnu/emacs/ps-emacs.tar.Z). I tried
applying the pathces described in the ps-emacs distribution to GNU
emacs 18.55
(tut.cis.ohio-state.edu:/pub/gnu/emacs/18.55/emacs-18.55.tar.Z).
I used m-iris4d.h and s-iris3-6.h as instructed in etc/MACHINES for a
IRIS4D machine. The patches for the ps-emacs worked fine but i had
problem compiling NeWS.c which gave errors to line
    if (!updating && outputstarted == 0)
            blockinputmask = sigblock (sigmask (SIGIO));
saying that SIGIO was not defined. The include file
/usr/include/sys/signal.h defines SIGIO by
#define SIGIO   23      /* input/output possible signal */
However the file s-iris3-6.h undefines the SIGIO variable saying that
although iris defines SIGIO it does not use it. So I commented that
line which gave me a running emacs with -nw option (do not create a
NeWS window) but which does nothing but wait when run as emacs
(requesting its own NeWS window).
 Has anybody else had this kind of problem? Any suggestions? Thanks in
advance.
  Senol Kucuk, Department of Electrical Engineering, University of Pittsburgh
     {senol,snkst4,kucuk}@{{unix,vms}.cis.pitt.edu,pitt{vms,unix}.bitnet}