Binary Programs on Info-Iris

Joel Tenenbaum joel at purvid.UUCP
Thu Sep 27 13:55:47 AEST 1990

Several recent postings have dealt with the pros and cons of posting binaries
(and to some extent, large sources) in terms of security and accompanying
instructions.

Another issue is relevant to those of us at the far ends of the Usenet
distribution tree.  My upstream node has pointed out that substantial
phone time and occasional clogging of the queues occurs due to these large
files (One of them, about 160K, violates the size limits on some of the
intermediate mailers).  It is my understanding that the etiquette in other
groups is for the availability of such programs to be posted.  The actual
transfer is then done by mail or ftp from an archive.  While we also have
an Internet connection, I suspect that a number of readers are still
phone based.

Any thoughts?

Joel

--