3.3.1 questions & complaints

Jack P. Weldon jweldon at sgi.com
Fri Sep 28 05:21:21 AEST 1990

In article <1990Sep26.174852.1344 at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> wsherman at newton.ncsa.uiuc.edu (William Sherman -Visualization) writes:
>I'll ask the question before I lose my audience.  With the new method

> [X startup question deleted--sorry]

>Okay, my first complaint is about something I'm sure SGI considers
>a "feature."  I have some shell scripts to mount and unmount nfs'ed
>disks to allow me to adapt to network problems, and machines going
>down.  Of course only the superuser can do this, so the scripts are
>owned by root, and the setuid bit is set.  Well, under 3.3.1, I'm
>informed that "mount_x: Setuid shell scripts not allowed."  Is there
>anything I can do to allow them?  If not, there should be.

In 3.3, there is a flag to allow suid shell scripts which is shipped
"off" for security reasons. Edit /usr/sysgen/master.d/kernel and change
the line "int nosuidshells = 1;" to 0. Then run /etc/init.d/autoconfig
and reboot (or use lboot if you wish--both build a kernel).  Needless to
say you must be root to do this...And YES, it *is* a feature, not a bug.

--
Cheers,

Jack P. Weldon
(jweldon at csd.sgi.com)